Sunday, April 29, 2012

Crazy for Coils

This pot was created using air drying clay in the coil technique. The inspiration behind the project was Egyptian culture that included handmade pottery. A requirement of the project was to create a design or a symbol that represents my culture. The symbol I chose was a sun which was placed inside my pot. The sun symbolizes my love for summer days and the necessity of the sun for the agricultural centered region I grew up in. The rainbow on the outside of the pot symbolizes the need for rain and the beauty that nature gives us.
An extension activity for this project could be to have the students research a culture of their choosing and then create a poster of symbols significant to these cultures. The students will then present their research to their classmates. If time allows, the students will compare symbols to see if there is any similar symbols or meanings of the symbols across the different cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment